Saturday, January 18, 2014

Welcome back to school :-(

As a long and wonderful winter break ended, a very interesting English class began. I had heard great things about Sweeney’s English classes and I was determined to have him as a teacher for English 102, so here I am now. After the first day in class I quickly realized that his English class was not like others that I had taken in the past. On the first day, we discussed the syllabus, our grade contract and blogging. For Sweeney’s class, it was required that we create a blog and keep up with it weekly. I was already familiar with a blogging website called tumblr but I never really wrote too often on my personal blog, I mostly reblogged pictures instead. 
According to the schedule given to us on the first day of class, we were to read “How to Become a Writer” to discuss in class on Wednesday. This short story was hands down one of the weirdest stories that I had read in a while. The main character in the story had a dream of becoming a writer but she ended up finding out that she wasn't as good at writing as she wanted to be. Reading the story was difficult to do because it had many incomplete sentences and thoughts that were sometimes random and didn't always go along with the story itself, but I guess the flow of the story went along with the way that she wrote her own stories. Most of the stories that she wrote lacked a plot and had bizarre encounters with death. The next story we read was “The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven”, and even though that story was also a little strange, it was a lot more interesting than the previous. It made more sense than “How to Become a Writer” just in the title alone. The main character was an Indian who could be represented by Tonto, while the white race could be represented by the Lone Ranger, lastly “Fistfight in Heaven” stands for the struggles that the main character faces in his dreams.
After the first week back to school, I may not be overly excited to be back but I am excited to see what Sweeney's English 102 class has in store for me this semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment